Material for the website has been garnered from a diverse array of sources, including the presidential office; Svanhildur Halldórsdóttir, Vigdís’s campaign manager; Vigdís’s personal friend, the historian Sigríður Th. Erlendsdóttir; the Icelandic Women’s History Archives (Kvennasögusafn Íslands); and local and national archives. The SVI has provided information and pictorial material. The photographer Gunnar Vigfússon has kindly given permission to use pictures he took during Vigdís’s presidency and the artists Arngunnur Ýr Gylfadóttir and Guðrún Einarsdóttir for use of their artwork on the website. Material for the first draft of the site was compiled and arranged by Erla Sigurðardóttir and Rósa Erlingsdóttir, and since then several others have lent a hand in reviewing and updating it, including Steinunn Stefánsdóttir, Þóra Kristín Jónsdóttir and Valgerður Jónasdóttir.
We welcome suggestions for improving the website. If you have any, or additional information that you think might be of interest, please contact us by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Books about Vigdís Finnbogadóttir
- Páll Valsson, Vigdís: Kona verður forseti, JPV Publishing, Reykjavík 2009.
- Páll Valsson, Frau Präsident: Eine isländische Biografie, trans. Angela Schamberger, Orlanda Verlag, Berlin 2011.
- Steinunn Sigurðardóttir, Ein á forsetavakt: Dagar í lífi Vigdísar Finnbogadóttur, Iðunn, Reykjavík 1988.
- Guðjón Friðriksson and Gunnar Elísson, eds., Vigdís forseti: Kjör hennar og fyrsta ár í embætti, Bókaútgáfan Örn & Örlygur, Reykjavík 1980, expanded and revised edition 1981.
- Guðjón Friðriksson and Gunnar Elísson, eds., President Vigdís: Her election and first year in office, Örn & Örlygur, Reykjavik 1980, expanded and revised edition 1981.
There are also many articles and book material about Vigdís and her work published in all parts of the world.